Join our crew and be part of organization with a proven track record of 30 years that is making a lasting impact on young people's lives. We are seeking a person who is a motivated, strong interpersonal & communications skills. You are passionate about being part of a team developing critical life skills for youth! You can thrive within a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. If this resonates with your values, skills, and experience then Bytown Brigantine, Tall Ships Adventure is a place for you.
As a registered not for profit, we empower youth with a unique opportunity to reach new heights through adventure and character-building sailing experiences. Guided by a dedicated and respected volunteer board of directors; supported by a vibrant volunteer auxiliary, we offer sail training experiences intentionally designed to: maximize fun with a purpose, foster lifelong friendships, strengthen leadership skills, and build resiliency. For more information visit www.tallshipsadventure.org.
Tall Ships Adventure (BBI) is seeking a dynamic professional able to wear many hats in a day. You are the primary key connections to our parents, participants, and volunteers. You have 3-5 years in customer service, administrative/clerical and participating in volunteer or special events. We see this role as the central hub for our organization.
Job Type: Part-time, Permanent
Location: Ottawa, ON (office)
Salary: commensurate based on experience
Work Schedule: 4 days per week
Please note that from time to time you may be asked to assist evening/weekends during high program time.
Application deadline: Friday March 17, 2023
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting and delivering the following:
General Office Support
• Provide a welcoming, professional reception to the office for in-person, telephone, and email inquiries.
• Act as the registrar, responding promptly to all inquiries by potential participants, families, and volunteers.
• As the registrar ensure respond in timely manner to all parents’ inquiries related to program registration e.g. registration for winter/summer programs, payment details
• Organize, update, and maintain files and archives, in keeping with established policies and procedures, making suggestions as necessary.
• Assist with social media updates and monitoring
• Assist with ensuring website is updated as per need.
• Assist with social media updates and monitoring, including updating the website.
• Complete data entry in detail for all trainees and volunteers; as well as student information into ONSIS for grade processing.
• Conduct basic bookkeeping functions, process cheque requests, time sheets and charitable tax receipts.
• Ensuring annual calendar is updated and managed with executive director.
• Update and ensure the accuracy of the BBI database (RegPack) for current and potential volunteers, staff, trainees, and board members.
• Assisting Fleet Captain in communication as per need to participants regarding programming (pre and post as per need)
• Ensuring communications with external third-party sources delivering program is communicated as per need with assistance from Fleet Captain.
• Provide administrative support to the executive director, board members and various committees
• Work with the executive director as per the need: coordinate volunteers, special events and fundraising events.
• Assisting in over all communications with parents, participants, and other stakeholders regarding program offerings.
• Participate in all team building or leadership weekly meetings.
• Collaborating with Fleet Captains, ensuring smooth delivery of program.
• Ensure timely & professional responses, written and or verbal to all BBI stakeholders.
• Be willing to learn and grow as a professional, weekly meetings with executive director.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
• Minimum of 2-5 years of experience within a not-for-profit organization.
• Degree/Diploma or certificate in related to field: business administration, special events management, volunteer management, marketing, or social media – or the equivalent in experience.
• 1-3 years of experience working in fundraising and event planning considered an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and work independently with little supervision.
• Team player with a creative flair, positive and energetic attitude with a professional approach
• Strong attention to detail.
• Proven organizational and time management skills to meet internal deadlines.
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with Proficiency in English required.
• Advanced skills in the use of Microsoft Office programs for word processing, spreadsheets, database management, creating reports and coding and filing.
• Demonstrated knowledge of social media marketing and website maintenance.
• Enjoys working with young people and volunteers.
• Must be available to flex their time for occasional evenings and weekends, especially during key events and programming.
Bytown Brigantine is proud to support professional development in the Canadian marine industry. At Tall Ships Adventures, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees, participants and volunteers feel included, valued, and heard. We believe that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to make better experiences for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We invite qualified applicants to submit their cover letter and resume demonstrating the skills and experience required for this position by email to: email@example.com.
Please note that while we appreciate all applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All the applications will be kept for six months following the completion of the hiring process.
BENEFITS AND PERKS OF A MARITIME CAREER
A Lot of opportunities for career advancement (they need you!)
Spending time in the outdoors
A sense of adventure and travel opportunities worldwide
Variety in day to day work
Universal skills give you the opportunity for career flexibility
Competitive wages $$$
Great employee benefits